Adolescent SBIRT Curriculum
This curriculum offers skills-based education on Adolescent Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT). The curriculum is comprised of an Instructor's Toolkit containing the Learner’s Guide to Adolescent SBIRT with companion slide decks and supplemental resources, and the web-based SBI with Adolescents simulation program. The guide and simulation program bring together the tools that educators, field instructors, preceptors, students, and practitioners need to screen adolescents for alcohol and other drug use using validated tools; deliver effective brief interventions using motivational interviewing skills; link adolescents to medical, behavioral or specialty treatment services as needed; work with other health professionals in ongoing care coordination; and provide follow-up and recovery supports to adolescents. Explore the Curriculum components below!
- Learn SBIRT basics: screening, brief intervention model; motivational interviewing
- Practice SBIRT conversations with virtual adolescents
- Three different scenarios to try new skills
- Assess and score SBIRT competencies; receive usage and scoring reports
- Free to Learning Collaborative Track A/B members; low cost to others
- Awards 2.0 ANCC CNE and 2.0 NASW contact hours
- Available online 24/7
The Instructor's Toolkit contains the Learner’s Guide to Adolescent SBIRT with companion slide decks and supplemental resources. In addition, it includes examples of sample interactions between a practitioner and adolescent or young adult practice; dialogues and role plays that learners can use to practice the components of SBIRT; extensive appendix of materials including adolescent substance use screening tools, case studies, pocket cards, and performance feedback and evaluation tools for assessing quality and fidelity during role play and simulation exercises; suggested readings that align with each module of the Learner’s Guide; sample course syllabus; and sample measures that can used as part of a pretest/posttest survey.
- Babor TF, McRee BG, Kassebaum PA, Grimaldi PL, Ahmed K, Bray J. Screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment (SBIRT): Toward a public health approach to the management of substance abuse. Substance Abuse. 2007;28(3):7-30.
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Final Recommendation Statement: Alcohol Misuse: Screening and Behavioral Counseling Interventions in Primary Care. Washington, DC: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force; 2013.
- American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Substance Abuse, Levy SJ, Kokotailo PK. Substance use screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment for pediatricians. Pediatrics. 2011;128(5):e1330-e1340.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. White Paper on Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment in Behavioral Healthcare. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration; April 2011.
Download: Suggested Readings for Module 2
KC, Kaminer Y. Screening and assessing adolescent substance use disorders in
clinical populations. Journal of the
American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. 2008;47(7):740-744.
KC. Assessment of alcohol and other drug use behaviors among adolescents. In:
Allen, JP, Columbus, M, Fertig, J, eds. Assessing
Alcohol Problems: A Guide for Clinicians and Researchers 2nd edition.
Bethesda, MD: NIAAA; 2003:101-123.
- CRAFFT: Massachusetts Department of Public Health Bureau of Substance Abuse Services. Provider Guide: Adolescent Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment Using the CRAFFT Screening Tool. Boston, MA: Massachusetts Department of Public Health; 2009.
- AUDIT: Babor TF, Higgins-Biddle JC, Saunders JB, Monteiro MG. The Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test: Guidelines for Use in Primary Care. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2001.
- S2BI: Levy S, Shrier L. Adolescent
SBIRT Toolkit for Providers. Boston, MA: Boston Children's Hospital; 2014.
Download: Suggested Readings for Module 3
- Levy S, Winters K, Knight J. Screening, assessment and
triage for treatment at a primary care setting. Clinical Manual of Adolescent Substance Abuse Treatment. 2010:65-82.
- Monti PM, Colby SM, O'Leary TA. Adolescents, Alcohol, and Substance Abuse: Reaching Teens through Brief Interventions. New York: Guilford Press; 2012.
- Myers MG, Brown SA, Tate S, Abrantes A, Tomlinson K. Toward brief interventions for adolescents with substance abuse prevention and comorbid psychiatric problems. In: Monti PM, Colby SM, O’Leary TA, eds. Adolescents, Alcohol, and Substance Abuse: Reaching Teens through Brief Interventions. New York: Guilford Press; 2001:275-296.
- Tanner-Smith EE, Lipsey MW. Brief alcohol interventions for adolescents and young adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment. 2015;21:1-18.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention for Youth: A Practitioner's Guide. Bethesda, MD: U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services; 2011.
- Sample Syllabus 1.0
- Sample Syllabus 2.0
- Learner's Guide Supplement 1.1
- Sample Homework Assignments
- Sample IRB Language
- Request Sample Evaluation Measures
- CRAFFT 1.0
- CRAFFT 2.0
- AUDIT-C and AUDIT
- Standard Drink Charts
- BNI Adolescent Algorithm (Bilingual)
- BNI Adolescent Scoring Sheet
- BIOS for Kognito Simulation
Download Suggested Readings for Module 4
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. Principles of Adolescent Substance Use Disorder Treatment: A
Research-based Guide. Bethesda, MD: NIDA;
- Williams RJ, Chang SY. A comprehensive and comparative review of adolescent substance abuse treatment outcome. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice. 2000;7(2):138-166.
- Meyers K, Cacciola J, Ward S, Kaynak O, Woodworth A. Paving the Way to Change: Advancing quality interventions for adolescents who use, abuse or are dependent upon alcohol and other drugs. Philadelphia, PA: Treatment Research Institute; 2014.
KC, Tanner-Smith EE, Bresani E, Meyers K. Current advances in the treatment of
adolescent drug use. Adolescent Health,
Medicine and Therapeutics. 2014;5:199.
Download Suggested Readings for Module 5
- Jensen CD, Cushing CC, Aylward BS, Craig JT, Sorell
DM, Steele RG. Effectiveness of motivational interviewing interventions for adolescent
substance use behavior change: A meta-analytic review. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 2011;79(4):433-440.
- Gold MA, Kokotailo PK. Motivational interviewing strategies to facilitate adolescent behavior change. Adolesc Health Update. 2007;20(1):1-10.
- Naar-King S, Suarez M. Motivational Interviewing with Adolescents and Young Adults. New York: Guilford Press; 2011.
- Center for Substance Abuse Treatment. Enhancing Motivation for Change in Substance Abuse Treatment. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series, No. 35. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration; 1999.
JL, Ames SL, Pentz MA, Sussman S. Motivational interviewing with adolescents
and young adults for drug-related problems. International
Journal of Adolescent Medicine and Health. 2006;18(1):53-67.