Adolescent Substance Use Screening: A Review of Brief Validated Tools
Description: This free webinar will provide an overview of brief screening tools to assess adolescent substance use including more recently developed tools as well as information on how to access numerous free training materials and resources available in NORC’s Adolescent SBIRT Toolkit. This education is ideal for those practitioners, educators, students, preceptors, field instructors and others wishing to gain an understanding of adolescent substance use screening tools and how to access resources to further their knowledge in this area.
Learning Objectives: Upon completion of this webinar, participants will be able to:
- Learn how to use brief validated screening tools to identify adolescent alcohol and other substance use.
- Identify and gain access to free materials and resources available to support health professional training on adolescent screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment.
Presenter: Dr. Tracy McPherson is a Senior Research Scientist in the Public Health Department at NORC at the University of Chicago. For more than 18 years she has led substance use and mental health prevention/early intervention projects funded by government agencies and foundations. Her work has focused on translating research into practice - assisting medical and behavioral health organizations implement clinical practice informed by scientific evidence, build workforce capacity, and evaluate the impact of practice change. Dr. McPherson is the Evaluation, Training, and Technical Assistance Lead on NORC’s Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) projects. As part of this work she leads learning collaboratives focused on improving access to screening, brief intervention, referral to treatment and follow-up care for risky alcohol and other substance use. Dr. McPherson is the Principal Investigator of the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation grant, Integrating Adolescent SBIRT in Social Work and Nursing Education, a national workforce development initiative to infuse adolescent SBIRT training in social work, nursing, and interprofessional programs (https://sbirt.webs.com). Dr. McPherson holds a PhD in Applied Social Psychology from The George Washington University.
Continuing Education Credits: This webinar does not offer continuing education credits, but we will provide you with a free Certificate of Attendance for your records by completing this short online form.
- PowerPoint Presentation
- CRAFFT Original Interview
- CRAFFT 2.0 Interview
- CRAFFT 2.1 Interview
- CRAFFT+N 2.1 Interview
- CRAFFT+N 2.1 Self-Administered
- CRAFFT Original Algorithm
- CRAFFT 2.1 Provider Manual
- S2BI - digital version
- S2BI Toolkit
- APA Emerging Measure Level 2 - Substance Use - Child Age 11-17
- BSTAD - digital version
- BSTAD - items after initial three questions, hardcopy version
- Questions from Participants
- This webinar is available with closed captioning upon request by emailing our team.