Suggested Readings for Adolescent SBIRT Curriculum
- Babor TF, McRee BG, Kassebaum PA, Grimaldi PL, Ahmed K, Bray J. Screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment (SBIRT): Toward a public health approach to the management of substance abuse. Substance Abuse. 2007;28(3):7-30.
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Final Recommendation Statement: Alcohol Misuse: Screening and Behavioral Counseling Interventions in Primary Care. Washington, DC: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force; 2013.
- American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Substance Abuse, Levy SJ, Kokotailo PK. Substance use screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment for pediatricians. Pediatrics. 2011;128(5):e1330-e1340.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. White Paper on Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment in Behavioral Healthcare. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration; April 2011.
- Winters KC, Kaminer Y. Screening and assessing adolescent substance use disorders in clinical populations. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. 2008;47(7):740-744.
- Winters KC. Assessment of alcohol and other drug use behaviors among adolescents. In: Allen, JP, Columbus, M, Fertig, J, eds. Assessing Alcohol Problems: A Guide for Clinicians and Researchers 2nd edition. Bethesda, MD: NIAAA; 2003:101-123.
- CRAFFT: Massachusetts Department of Public Health Bureau of Substance Abuse Services. Provider Guide: Adolescent Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment Using the CRAFFT Screening Tool. Boston, MA: Massachusetts Department of Public Health; 2009.
- AUDIT: Babor TF, Higgins-Biddle JC, Saunders JB, Monteiro MG. The Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test: Guidelines for Use in Primary Care. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2001.
- S2BI: Levy S, Shrier L. Adolescent SBIRT Toolkit for Providers. Boston, MA: Boston Children's Hospital; 2014.
- Levy S, Winters K, Knight J. Screening, assessment and triage for treatment at a primary care setting. Clinical Manual of Adolescent Substance Abuse Treatment. 2010:65-82.
- Tanner-Smith EE, Lipsey MW. Brief alcohol interventions for adolescents and young adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment. 2015;21:1-18.
- Winters KC. Brief interventions for adolescents. Journal of Drug Abuse. 2016;2:1.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention for Youth: A Practitioner's Guide. Bethesda, MD: U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services; 2011.
- Hennessy EA, Tanner-Smith EE. Effectiveness of brief school-based interventions for adolescents: A meta-analysis of alcohol use prevention programs. Prevention science: the official journal of the Society for Prevention Research. 2015;16(3):463-474.
- Beyer F, Lynch E, Kaner E. Brief Interventions in Primary Care: an Evidence Overview of Practitioner and Digital Intervention Programmes. Current Addiction Reports. 2018;5(2):265-273.
- Monti PM, Colby SM, O'Leary TA. Adolescents, Alcohol, and Substance Abuse: Reaching Teens through Brief Interventions. New York: Guilford Press; 2001.
- Myers MG, Brown SA, Tate S, Abrantes A, Tomlinson K. Toward brief interventions for adolescents with substance abuse prevention and comorbid psychiatric problems. In: Monti PM, Colby SM, O’Leary TA, eds. Adolescents, Alcohol, and Substance Abuse: Reaching Teens through Brief Interventions. New York: Guilford Press; 2001:275-296.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. Principles of Adolescent Substance Use Disorder Treatment: A Research-based Guide. Bethesda, MD: NIDA; 2014.
- Williams RJ, Chang SY. A comprehensive and comparative review of adolescent substance abuse treatment outcome. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice. 2000;7(2):138-166.
- Meyers K, Cacciola J, Ward S, Kaynak O, Woodworth A. Paving the Way to Change: Advancing quality interventions for adolescents who use, abuse or are dependent upon alcohol and other drugs. Philadelphia, PA: Treatment Research Institute; 2014.
- Winters KC, Tanner-Smith EE, Bresani E, Meyers K. Current advances in the treatment of adolescent drug use. Adolescent Health, Medicine and Therapeutics. 2014;5:199.
- Jensen CD, Cushing CC, Aylward BS, Craig JT, Sorell DM, Steele RG. Effectiveness of motivational interviewing interventions for adolescent substance use behavior change: A meta-analytic review. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 2011;79(4):433-440.
- Gold MA, Kokotailo PK. Motivational interviewing strategies to facilitate adolescent behavior change. Adolesc Health Update. 2007;20(1):1-10.
- Naar-King S, Suarez M. Motivational Interviewing with Adolescents and Young Adults. New York: Guilford Press; 2011.
- Center for Substance Abuse Treatment. Enhancing Motivation for Change in Substance Abuse Treatment. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series, No. 35. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration; 1999.
- Grenard JL, Ames SL, Pentz MA, Sussman S. Motivational interviewing with adolescents and young adults for drug-related problems. International Journal of Adolescent Medicine and Health. 2006;18(1):53-67.
- Appiah-Brempong E, Okyere P, Owusu-Addo E, Cross R. Motivational Interviewing interventions and alcohol abuse among college students: A systematic review. American Journal of Health Promotion. 2014;29(1):e32 - e42.