Field Instructor and Preceptor Program
*NORC at the University of Chicago is not currently accepting applications for this opportunity. Please see the Track C tab under the Learning Collaborative for information about our upcoming opportunities.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends adolescent substance use screening and education as part of routine care, using the universal Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) process endorsed by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). However, many health professionals report having little time, training, tools, and treatment resources to conduct SBIRT with adolescents for use of alcohol, tobacco and other drugs.
Over 40 schools of nursing and social work have implemented a free adolescent SBIRT training program. Now this opportunity is open to Social Work Field Instructors and Nurse Preceptors at placement sites of Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctoral Nursing and Social Work education programs!
- Screen patients using evidence-based tools
- Conduct brief interventions using motivational interviewing
- Make collaborative action plans with patients
- Refer patients to treatment service and follow up on referrals
Incentives for Participation
- Participants receive free, unlimited access to Kognito’s SBI with Adolescents simulation
- Join in NORC’s Adolescent SBIRT Learning Collaborative to share and learn best practices
- Receive free access to materials and Adolescent SBIRT resources
- Receive free telephonic technical assistance
- Receive a certificate of completion and 2.0 ANCC credits for nurses and 2.0 NASW credits for social workers* at no cost
*This continuing education activity was approved by the Western Multi State Division, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation and is approved by the National Association of Social Workers (Approval # 886720495-0) for 2.0 continuing education contact hours.
Requirements for Participation
- Serve as a Social Work Field Instructor or Nurse Preceptor at a placement site for a Nursing or Social Work education program (Bachelor’s/Master’s/Doctoral)
- Complete the brief Track D: Field Instructor and Preceptor Program online application
- Complete Kognito’s SBI with Adolescents simulation program
- Complete a brief follow-up survey
- View Technical Specifications
- Coming soon...
Share with Your Colleagues
Know other Social Work Field Instructors or Nurse Preceptors who would be interested?
Download this flyer to share with your colleagues and link to our online application today!
Email [email protected]
With funding from the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation, NORC at the University of Chicago is working with the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN), the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), and technology partner Kognito to disseminate adolescent screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment (SBIRT) curriculum in nursing, social work, and inter-professional education programs.